From Local 3 News: UPDATE- Six people are dead in Marion County from what investigators say is a murder-suicide on Thursday night. It
From Local 3 News: UPDATE- Six people are dead in Marion County from what investigators say is a murder-suicide on Thursday night.
It happened at a home in the 200 block of Pine Street in the Sequatchie area around 9:00pm CST.
A TBI spokesperson says Marion County deputies and Jasper police responded to a shooting call but arrived at the home to find it on fire.
The TBI says once the fire was out, the bodies of three adults and three children were found inside the home along with a fourth adult who had been shot several times.
Sheriff Bo Burnett tells Local 3 News that Gary Barnett, who is one of the three adults found dead, is believed to have been the shooter who killed the other victims before taking his own life.
Sheriff Burnett identifies the other adult victims as Regina Barnett and Britney Perez.
Law enforcement responded to a shooting at the residence to find the home fully engulfed in flames.
Sheriff Burnett says the incident appears to have started as a domestic dispute.
Sheriff Burnett says Regina Barnett had gotten a restraining order against her estranged husband Gary about a month ago and says the order was still active.
Sheriff Burnett also says Perez was visiting her mother Regina at the time of the incident.
An arrest affidavit shows the order of protection was issued follow Gary Barnett’s arrest in December 2022 for a domestic assault charge over an incident involving his wife.
The arrest report shows that Regina Barnett told deputies that her “soon to be ex-husband” Gary threatened to shoot her and her dog and verbally abused her.
Regina also told deputies that Gary had 50-60 guns in his room and that she was afraid he would get drunk and actually shoot her.
The case against Gary Barnett was still pending with a possible court appearance coming up on July 5.
Court records show on April 19, a judge ruled that the no contact order was to remain in effect until July 5, when the case would be dismissed and neither party would have to appear in court if no further problems were reported.
The name of the surviving adult who was flown to a hospital is also unknown at this time.
The TBI is investigating the case.
A TBI spokesperson says the bodies of all six people have been taken to Nashville for autopsies.
From Local 3 News: Law enforcement in Marion County are on the scene where six people have been found dead late Thursday night.
They were found in a home on Pine Street in the Sequatchie area.
According to Marion County Sheriff Bo Burnett, law enforcement responded to a shooting at the residence to find the home fully engulfed in flames.
Six people were found dead inside the home, and one survivor was taken to the hospital, Burnett said.
“The scene has been turned over to the TBI; the district attorney’s office is on the scene. It’s still an active investigation,” he told Local 3 News.
There is no threat to the public.
“We’ve accounted for everybody,” Burnett said. “There is no threat out in the community.”